Travelling with pets
Transporting your pet can be a stressful experience for both of you. Hence, Singapore Airlines is committed to providing a caring, comfortable and stress-free service for you. Read on for more information on pet carriage.
Pet travel services
In general, there are 2 ways for your pet to travel:
- Accompanied (as part of checked baggage)
This pet travel service allows you to check in and reunite with your pet at the passenger terminals of your flight departure and arrival airports. Your pet will travel in the full comfort of the air-conditioned cargo hold, located just beneath the passenger cabin. This is subject to the following requirements:
- Available only for cats and certain breeds of dogs. Please refer to the section on "Pets not accepted for travel" below for the list of dog breeds not allowed on our flights; and
- Available only for selected airports. Carriage of cats and dogs out of Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States of America, as well as carriage of cats and dogs into United Kingdom is not allowed. Please contact an international pet transport company.
Please note that:
- Carriage of pets in the aircraft cabin is not permitted, with the exception of service dogs.
- Carriage of cats and dogs is not allowed on flights operated by the A380-800.
- Other than cats and dogs, all other pets must be carried unaccompanied.
As advanced arrangements for pet travel services are required, please alert your travel agent or local Singapore Airlines office at the time of booking or at least 2 weeks in advance, that you will be travelling with your pet. We will check on space availability and provide advice on the regulations and requirements for the carriage of pets to your country of destination and/or transit points.
Please provide us with the following information on your pet:
- Type / breed / species
- Weight of cage and pet
- Dimensions of cage (length x breadth x height)
- Import / export permit numbers (if any)
This alternative pet travel service allows you to check in and collect your pet from the cargo terminals of your flight departure and arrival airports. Please contact an international pet transportation company or cargo company.
Please note that:
- For flights operated by the A380-800, only live tropical fish, insects and reptiles can be accepted as cargo.
Essential documents and health requirements
Please have the following documents ready for your pet at least seven days prior to departure:
- Valid export/import permits from the relevant government authorities of your destination/transit countries;
- Valid health and rabies vaccination certificates from appropriate government authorities of your destination/transit countries;
- Any additional or special documents that may be required by government authorities of your destination/transit countries.
Please ensure that your pet meets the appropriate quarantine requirements. Your pet may be subjected to quarantine on arrival at your expense. The quarantine period may vary, depending on the destination's veterinary authority. Please refer to the list of veterinary authorities on the right of this page.
For import, export or transshipment of pets into, out of or via Singapore respectively, please refer to the website of the Agri-food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore.
Comfort and care
Animals travel under less stress when they become accustomed to their shipping container before they travel. To familiarise your pet with its container, place a favourite toy or treat inside the container to create a positive and comfortable association.
Whenever possible, book a direct, non-stop flight and avoid holiday or weekend travel. Consider schedules that minimise temperature extremes, for example, try to avoid travel during excessively hot or cold periods. Morning or evening flights are preferable during the summer months.
The design and construction of the container must conform to IATA Live Animals Regulations. In general, you will have to provide your pet with a correct-sized, well-ventilated and leak-proof container that meets the following requirements:
- Enough space for your pet to turn about normally while standing;
- Enough space for your pet to stand and sit erect and lie in a natural position;
- Adequate ventilation on at least 3 sides (with the majority of the ventilation on the upper part of the container);
- Food and water troughs accessible for replenishment from outside the container;
- If a wooden crate is used, the sides must be at least 0.5 inch thick.
Suitable pet containers are usually available in most professional pet stores. Feeding and watering instructions must be affixed to the container. As our handling agents would like to address your pet by its name, it would be useful if you could also indicate your pet's name on the container.
Pets not accepted for travel
Some animals are prohibited from travel on our flights. They are:
- Household pets (dogs and cats) less than 6 months old
- All birds, except for farmed ostriches, emus, and birds shipped between government zoos
- Pigs (on all passenger aircraft)
- All primates intended for research purposes
- All snub-nosed dogs such as Pekinese, Shih-Tzus, Boxers, Bulldogs, and Pugs
- The following dog breeds and their cross-breeds:
- All Terriers
- All Boxers
- All Pugs
- All Bulldogs
- All Spaniels
- All Mastiff
- Brussels Griffin
- Chow Chow
- Japanese Chin
- Lhasa Apso
- Pit Bull
- Shar Pei
- Shih Tzu
- Dogo Argentino
- Fila Brazillero & their crosses
Pets travelling to the United Kingdom
The United Kingdom’s Pet Travel Scheme is a scheme that allows your pet to enter the UK without putting it into quarantine, as long as certain conditions are met. It is possible that your pet may be available for collection from customs as quickly as 4 hours after arrival.
Currently, this scheme is applicable only for flights departing from Singapore to London. This scheme is under the purview of the UK Department for Food Environment and Rural Affairs. Full details about this scheme are available on their website.
Certified guide dogs for blind, deaf or disabled passengers
A service dog accompanying its owner can be accepted in the passenger cabin in any class.
Please contact your local Singapore Airlines office in advance to make the necessary arrangements. If your itinerary involves other carriers, separate clearance must be obtained from those carriers prior to travel. You must ensure that all government regulations and documentation requirements for the uplift, transit, and disembarkation airports are complied with.
The service dog is regarded as unchecked baggage and will be carried without charge, in addition to your free baggage allowance. The dog will not be occupying any seat and must not be seated in a location that would block escape routes in the event of an emergency. You are required to provide moisture absorbent material that will be placed on the cabin floor, underneath the dog at all times. The dog need not be muzzled and harnessed during the flight but a muzzle must be made available when required.
When interline carriage is involved (connecting flights with other airlines), please note that on-carriage of pets must comply with the rules and regulations of the other carrier(s).
As through-check of animals (completion of check-in processes at point of origin for onward flight connections) from one airline to another is not allowed, you would need to claim and check-in your pet again, between the flights.
Pets - together with their containers - will be counted towards your baggage allowance. Please refer to our 'Special baggage charges' page for more information on the charges.
If you are transiting in Singapore between two Singapore Airlines flights, a transshipment fee of SGD50.00 (or its equivalent) is applicable.