Singapore Airlines celebrates its millionth A380 passenger
18 February 2009 - Singapore Airlines reached another exciting milestone today as it celebrated the carriage of its first millionth A380 passenger, a mere 16 months after its inaugural A380 service to Sydney on 25 October 2007.
The lucky customer, Mr Royston Pollard, 60, who was accompanied by his wife, Eileen, received the news at London’s Heathrow Airport before embarking on his flight, SQ317, from London to Singapore. Mr Pollard was the millionth passenger to check in for a Singapore Airlines A380 flight.
Mr & Mrs Pollard hail from Bristol in the United Kingdom, and are stopping over in Singapore for a couple of days before setting off on their “birthday holiday” to New Zealand. Both of their birthdays fall in February. It is also the couple’s first time visiting Singapore.
As Singapore Airlines’ first millionth A380 passenger, both Mr Pollard and his wife won themselves an upgrade to Singapore Airlines’ award-winning Business Class, where they got to enjoy the luxury and comfort of the world’s widest business class seat and more than 1000 inflight entertainment options on the large 39cm LCD screen.
Mr & Mrs Pollard has also received a multitude of other items in the millionth passenger prize package as follows:
- A 3-night stay at the legendary Raffles Hotel in Singapore. This will be in one of the distinctive Personality Suites and complemented by limousine transfers; all sponsored by Raffles Hotel.
- An elaborate spa experience, comprising a pebble foot bath, massages, a jasmine coriander scrub and a frangipani bath at Spa Botanica, sponsored by The Sentosa Resort & Spa.
- A delicious 5-course set dinner, complete with champagne, at The Cliff restaurant at The Sentosa Resort & Spa, sponsored by The Sentosa Resort & Spa.
- Dinner voucher at The Equinox Restaurant, located on the 70th floor of Swissotel The Stamford Singapore. The voucher is sponsored by Swissotel The Stamford Singapore.
- A choice of either:
- An exciting Premiere Safari Adventurer Tour, with an international buffet spread included, at the world’s first Night Safari, sponsored by The Night Safari, or
- A Wild Discovery Tour at the renowned Singapore Zoo, including a “jungle breakfast” with the wildlife, sponsored by the Singapore Zoo
- Special Singapore Airlines giveaways
- Land transfers, sponsored by S H Tours
All customers on Mr Pollard’s flight from London to Singapore were also given a special treat as part of the millionth passenger celebratory activities. At the gatehold room in London, champagne, wine, chocolates and fruit among other items were made available and every customer was presented with a Singapore Airlines aircraft model and luggage lock. The celebration continued onboard with customers in all three classes being offered champagne.
Upon arrival at Changi Airport this morning, Mr Pollard was greeted and presented with a “millionth A380 passenger” certificate by Singapore Airlines’ Senior Vice President Sales Regions Mr Thoeng Tjhoen Onn, signed by Captain Harry Tan.
Said Mr Thoeng, “We are proud and delighted to have carried our first millionth passenger within such a short period of time. We want to say a big thank you to our customers for flying this great aircraft and experiencing the product and service offerings we have invested in for them.”
Said the elated couple, “It was a bit overwhelming when they first said we were the ones. It was just absolutely fantastic, a really, really lovely experience. It was sort of one of those memories you’ll never ever forget.”
With six aircraft in fleet now, Singapore Airlines currently flies the A380 daily between Singapore and Sydney, Singapore and Tokyo, and twice daily between Singapore and London. It will commence daily services between Singapore and Paris from 1 June this year. Since its launch, the A380 has clocked over 24,000 flying hours on more than 2,400 commercial flights.