Travelling with pets
We welcome your pet on board our flights*, whether as checked baggage or in cargo. Do note that every country has its own set of requirements when it comes to travelling with animals. We encourage you to always check your departure, transit and arriving country’s local requirements and restrictions. You’ll also need to prepare all necessary accompanying documents to ensure a smooth journey for both you and your four-legged friend.
* As there is no temperature control in the cargo hold, we are unable to accept your pet on all our Boeing 737-operated flights.
Pet travel options
Your pet can travel with you on the same flight as checked baggage, as long as it's at least three months old. We're happy to accommodate all domesticated cats and most dog breeds. Service dogs may accompany you in the cabin. Depending on your departure, destination or transit country, other restrictions may also apply.
Due to Occupational Health and Safety rules, if the combined weight of your pets and its container exceeds 32kg, your pet will instead travel in cargo.
To arrange for your pet to travel in the air-conditioned comfort and security of our cargo, contact your local Singapore Airlines Cargo office before your flight.
Getting your pet ready for travel
Get in touch with your local Singapore Airlines office at least two weeks before your departure. We'll need the following information on your pet:
- Type / breed / species
- Weight of pet
- Weight of container
- Dimensions of container (length x breadth x height)
- Import / export / transshipment permit numbers, if any
Once we receive this information from you, we'll check if space is available for your pet, and provide you a Release & Indemnity Form to complete. Please get in touch with your local Singapore Airlines office to obtain the form.
We'll also need the following documents:
- Export/import/transshipment permits or licenses from your departure/destination/transit country's relevant authorities
- Valid health and rabies vaccination certificates
- Any additional documents that may be required by your departure/destination/transit country's authorities
Remember to bring all these documents along when you check in at the airport.
Day of departure checklist
To ensure a stress-free travel experience for both you and your pet, on the day of your departure, do:
- Check in at least two hours* before your departure
- Submit the completed Release & Indemnity Form, and present the original copies of other necessary documents at our check-in counters
- Ensure that your pet is in good health and fit for travel
- Ensure that your pet is well fed and hydrated
- Place a favourite toy or treat inside the container to keep your pet happy
- Mark your pet's name on the outside of its container
*If you're travelling out of the USA, remember to check in at least three hours before your departure for security screening.
Pet container requirements
The design and construction of your pet's container must conform to IATA requirements. The maximum height of the container depends on the aircraft in which your pet will be travelling: 0.56m on A330 aircraft, 1.01m on B777 aircraft, 0.6m on A380 aircraft and 0.7m on A350 aircraft.
For a safe and comfortable journey for your pet, the container must:
- Be of the right size. The container should have enough space for your pet to turn about normally while standing, for it to stand and sit erect, and lie in a natural position.
- Be well ventilated. The container must have adequate ventilation on at least three of its sides, with the majority of the ventilation on the upper part of the container.
- Come with food and water containers. Either fixed inside the container or accessible for replenishment from outside the container.
- Be properly secured. To prevent your pet from escaping.
The minimum dimensions (in length, width and height) of the container are based on the size of your pet, where:
Length = A + ½ B
Width = C x2
Height = D
A = length of your pet from the tip its nose to the base/root of its tail
B = height from the ground to its elbow joint
C = width across its shoulders or its widest point, whichever is greater
D = height of your pet in its natural standing position, from the top of its head or ear tip to the floor, whichever is higher
If more than one pet is travelling with you, they must be housed in separate containers. Puppies or kittens from the same litter may occupy the same container if they're three months or older, and weigh less than 14kg together. A maximum of two puppies or kittens are allowed in each container.
Visit IATA for more details.
Connections, transshipments and transits
If you're connecting to another airline, you must comply with the airline's rules and regulations for pet travel. Get in touch with the airline for more details. Note that we do not accept pets from other airlines on all our flights.
Import, export and transshipment of pets into, out of or through Singapore
If you're importing, exporting or transshipping pets into, out of or via Singapore, apply for the relevant Animal & Veterinary Service (AVS) licenses. Transshipment, import permit of export permit fees will be payable to the AVS.
Transiting in SingaporeIf you're transiting in Singapore for over four hours, your pet will be transferred to the Changi Animal & Plant Quarantine Station (CAPQ), in accordance with AVS's guidelines. A nominal fee will be payable to AVS for accommodating your pet there.
If you’re travelling with a pet, your pet and its container are not counted as part of your free checked baggage allowance. They are considered additional baggage, and will incur additional baggage fees. Pre-paid and discounted rates will not be available for your pet’s carriage.
For all flights, except those to and from the USA
Your charges will be charged separately, according to the total weight of your pet and its container.
For flights to and from the USA
Your pet and its container will be charged separately, according to the piece concept.
If your pet is transiting or being transshipped in Singapore, additional fees may apply.
Specific destination restrictions
For destination specific regulations and documents required for pet travel, refer to IATA's Traveler's Pets Corner.
Due to specific destination restrictions, we're unable to transport your pet into or out of the destinations below as checked baggage. For assistance, get in touch with your local Singapore Airlines Cargo office.
- Into/Out of Australia
- Into/Out of Brunei
- Into/Out of Denpasar, Bali
- Into/Out of New Zealand
- Into/Out of South Africa
- Into/Out of Turkey
- Into Dubai
- Into Hong Kong SAR
- Into Sri Lanka
- Into the United Kingdom
Prohibited dog breeds
We're unable to accept the following dog breeds on all our flights.
- Brussels Griffon (Petit Brabancon)
- Chow Chow
- Dogo Argentino
- English, French and American Bulldogs
- Fila Brasileiro
- Japanese Chin (Japanese Spaniels)
- Lhasa Apso
- Mastiffs, including Neapolitan and Dogue de Bordeaux
- Perro De Presa Canario
- Pit Bull
- Pugs, including Carlino, Mopshond, Mops Hund and Pekingese
- Shih Tzu
- English Toy, King Charles and Tibetan Spaniels
- Boston and Pit Bull Terriers