Travelling with children
We encourage you to request for a bassinet when you book an infant ticket, as only a limited number of bassinets are available on board and offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Each bassinet measures at 768mm (L) x 298mm (W) x 158mm (H), and can support a maximum weight of 14kg.
Child car seats and harnesses
While booster seats, vests and harness-type child restraint devices are not permitted on board, you’re welcome to use approved car-type child safety seats and FAA-approved child harnesses for children under 3 years of age. For your child’s safety, secure him/her in the child safety seat by its harness at all times, even when the ‘fasten seat belt’ sign is switched off.
Child safety seats must:
- be forward- or aft-facing and secured to the passenger seat with the aircraft safety belt by a lap belt or two-point harness, according to the child/infant car seat manufacturer’s instructions. The passenger seat will be charged at a child’s fare. (Child safety seats that must be secured by a three-point harness cannot be used on our flights.)
- fit within these maximum areas, measured between the armrests of the typical passenger seat in each cabin class:
- not extend unreasonably beyond the passenger seat, which means an adult can move past the child safety seat when the seats in the row immediately in front of it are in the upright position.
- not block the aisle, which means the aisle remains accessible during taxi, take-off and landing.
|Cabin class||Maximum area (Width x Depth)*|
|Economy||17” x 27”|
|Premium Economy||18” x 31”|
|Business||19” x 33”|
|First||36” x 42”|
|Suites||23” x 64”|
* These measurements serve as guidance. For details and assistance, get in touch with your local Singapore Airlines office.
An aft-facing child safety seat that doesn’t have a belt path must be used with a detachable base. However, these child seats that require detachable bases may not fit properly in the passenger seat.
An aft-facing child safety seat that has a belt path, and is properly labelled, doesn’t need a detachable base.
Child/Infant car seats must also be approved by a foreign airworthiness authority and meet the relevant government standards. This includes, but isn’t limited to:
United Kingdom (UK) Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)
Please note the location of the approval label on the child safety seat, as you may be asked to show it to our ground staff and cabin crew.
FAA-approved child harnesses can also be used on our flights. However, AmSafe’s Child Aviation Restraint System (CARES) child harness may not fit in some of our First and Business Class seats. For details, get in touch with your local Singapore Airlines office.
If you are using a child safety seat or a child harness, you’ll need to show our cabin crew that you’ve fitted the child safety seat or harness securely and in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. When requested, please provide the manufacturing standards and instructions to our ground staff and cabin crew for reference.
The use of child car seats and child harnesses on board is subject to all child seat safety requirements. Neither can be installed on seats at the emergency exit rows, as well as the rows immediately before and after.
You may carry onboard any type of compact foldable light-weight stroller only if they meet the following requirements:
- The stroller must meet SIA’s standard cabin bag dimensions (up to 7kg and sum of length, width and height should not exceed 115cm) and must be able to be stored in the cabin overhead compartment.
- The stroller will be counted towards your cabin baggage allowance for your class of travel (i.e. your compact foldable lightweight stroller will be counted as 01 piece of cabin bag).
- The stroller must be folded and packed into its carrier bag prior to boarding.
- The stroller must not be opened and used in the aircraft cabin at all times.
Compact foldable light-weight strollers will be checked in if there is no space in the cabin. Strollers that do not meet the above requirements will also have to be checked in. These strollers, when checked in, will not be counted as part of your checked baggage allowance.
Convertible inflight beds for children
Travel gadgets that convert into leg rests or inflight beds for children may be used on board our flights as long as the instructions for use set by the manufacturer(s) are followed.
For your child's safety, these convertible inflight beds may only be used at the window seats or the middle seat between the aisles. Your child must also be able to fasten the seatbelt under his or her arm when using the inflight bed. If your child is under two years of age, he or she must be removed from the convertible inflight bed, and secured with an infant seatbelt whenever the seatbelt sign is switched on.
To ensure safe use of convertible inflight beds for children, they:
- Must be packed and securely stowed in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front during taxi, take-off and landing
- Cannot be used at the emergency exit rows
- Must not interfere with or prevent the seat in front from reclining
- Must not damage the aircraft seat if they need to be attached to any part of the seat
- Cannot be combined so as to allow two or more convertible inflight beds to occupy several seats, as shown.
The convertible inflight bed should not exceed a total dimension of 115cm (when the length, width and height of the fully deployed bed is combined), and will be counted as part of your cabin baggage allowance.
For more details, get in touch with your local Singapore Airlines office.
Infant/Child passenger regulations
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept infant passengers within the first 48 hours of their birth. Air travel is also not recommended for infants seven days of age or under.
Each infant or child must be accompanied by a parent/guardian who is at least 18 years of age. (Otherwise, our unaccompanied minor special assistance service is required.)
One adult may travel with two infants (from 7 days to under 2 years of age), one of them is able to use an approved child safety seat and the other an infant seat belt.
Unfortunately, we won’t be able to accept you and your infants on our flights if this safety requirement is not met.
If you are travelling alone with two infants, get in touch with your local Singapore Airlines office so we can help you make the special arrangements required.
Child meals and other amenities
Meals suitable for children are available on all of our flights, except those to and from Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Simply request the meal when you make your booking.
General baby amenities such as diapers, disposable bibs, feeding bottles, and baby wipes are also available. However, we recommend that you bring your own – as we can only carry a limited quantity and these amenities may not be able to match your specific requirements.
Children travelling from France
As of 15th January 2017, authorization to leave the country will be necessary for passengers who are under 18 years old to leave France without his or her legal parents (parents or guardians).
An accompanied or unaccompanied minor who is under 18 years old must be in possession of:
- An individual passport.
- Exit territory authorization form signed by his or her legal parents (parents or guardians).
- A photocopy of a valid identity document of the parent who have signed the exit territory authorization form
The above will apply to all passengers who are under 18 years old residing in France, regardless of nationality.
Children travelling to and from South Africa
As required by the South African Department of Home Affairs, passengers who are 18 years old or below and travelling into or out of South Africa are required to provide additional mandatory documents in order to be allowed on board. For details, visit the South African Department of Home Affairs website.